No matter how carefully buyers do their homework, some tasks on the moving to-do list frequently fall through the cracks. Sometimes people find themselves so excited about their new home purchase that they forget the little things. To keep that stressful situation from unfolding, here are a few crucial items that many tend to forget when moving:
1. Banks. Check your new area to see if your bank has a branch nearby. If not, you may need to switch banks. This is especially true if your bank is regional. Don’t forget to grab anything you have in your safety deposit box.
2. Medical needs. If you can, have your current doctor call in prescriptions to a pharmacy in your new town. That will give you time to choose the right new doctor for you, not just one that’s available. Keep your previous doctor’s number so you can contact them when you need paperwork forwarded to the new doctor. If you’re keeping your health insurance plan, remember to look for doctors that will accept it. If you need to switch providers or update your plan, try to do so before you move.
3. Things to transfer. Transfer memberships from any local organizations, gyms, associations, and clubs. Beware that canceling before your membership is completed can result in early termination fees.
“Some people are so excited about their new home purchase that they forget the little things.“
4. School records. For safekeeping, ask your kid’s school system to make copies of their records so you can take them with you.
5. Raid the kitchen. About a month before moving, make sure to start using up any frozen goods to avoid waste. Use up, give away, or donate any unopened food in your pantry. These items can be bulky and heavy to transport.
6. Check the car. Tune up the car to avoid a breakdown on the way to your new home. If you have a trusted mechanic, ask if they can refer you to another one near your new address.
Moving is never easy, but hopefully, these tips help things go a bit smoother.
To discuss the sale of your home OR to get a cash offer today before you move, Call Blake at 855-430-0140 or visit www.SoldByBlakeCory.com, and start packing!